| Good Neighbour Nepal|
Wholistic help in poverty
The project setting:
Kaski and Nawalparasi districts of West Nepal: in surroundings of unbelievable poverty, much illiteracy, addiction, HIV, and not forgetting buildings still damaged from last year’s quakes, Nepali organisation Good Neighbour (Asal Chhimekee Nepal) is a good news story! It works with a group of local church leaders in creating health and hygiene initiatives, self-help groups, cottage businesses and relief work in a holistic grassroots response. In February SIM NZ’s director and board chairperson visited, and were impressed by the high level of engagement by local churches.
“The success of the residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation programme for women is astounding,” Nigel Webb reports. After a year in residence the clients have three years of counselling and follow-up by professionals.
Your donation will have immediate and direct results in the lives of these families through —
- Better awareness of HIV/AIDS, and support to HIV clients through local churches
- Residential programmes and outreach for female drug and alcohol users
- Skills and employment
- At least 80% of women attending literacy classes learning to read and write
- More people with access to safe drinking water and toilets
- Improved knowledge and behaviour about hygiene/preventable diseases
To give now, click here and quote project # NP 98383