SIM partners at least three projects in South Asia which work with women off the streets, many of whom were kidnapped or lured as small girls into the sex trade.
CUP (Children’s Uplift Programme) in Bangladesh has a similar role, providing a night shelter and a home for girls, and in addition works with a fair-trade business, Basha Boutique which sells jewellery, blankets and clolthing, teaching the women new skills and giving them an outlet for their products.
Beauty for Ashes in India takes young women 18 and over who have been rescued by police or NGOs from those who control them; it offers a safe home, counselling and retraining. It offers education, often to girls who never had a chance to go to school. It is a sister project to Redlight Greenlight (girls 12-17) which needs funds not just for operating costs, but to expand the work and build new premises. The project also will share know-how with others who want to open similar homes.
To donate, contact us here and quote CUP project #98336
or Beauty for Ashes project #98661
or Redlight Greenlight project #98652
Would you like to impact lives in ways beyond your wildest dreams? You could use your degree in social work, international development, or a similar field in SIM’s Children’s Uplift Programme as it ministers to the needs of some of the most neglected women and children in Dhaka city, Bangladesh. The CUP project is looking for an Advisor who will stay two years or more. This position requires a person who is able to work alongside the existing team of Bangladeshi staff, providing encouragement, mentoring, advice, and support as needed.
- To talk this over with us, apply here and quote CUP Ministry Opportunity # 8815
- for the women at Beauty for Ashes rebuilding their lives after trauma and learning about God’s love
- for the women who are currently completing the CUP vocational training course and for those who are now working with the project’s partner fair trade business, Basha Boutique.
- for newly rescued sex workers coming to Redlight Greenlight and CUP, that they might find the source of real healing and the key to a positive future
- For wisdom for the partners working in these projects.